Friday, April 5, 2013

Mediterranean Three Bean Salad

While browsing around for new year's recipes back in January, I ran across one on Allrecipes.com that caught my eye. It doesn't look like much from the ingredient list, but it's a real hit among people who have tried it. As usual, I put my own tweaks on it and here's what I came up with: 


  • 1 15.5-ounce can great northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15.5-ounce can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15.5-ounce can chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 13.75-ounce can marinated artichoke hearts, chopped. Reserve liquid to add to final product.
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped (tops and onions)
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced (1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes works fine for this, too)
  • 2 small cans sliced black olives
  • 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • Salt, to taste
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight. If the vegetables soak up all the vinegar and oil, you can add a splash of each to the dish just before serving.

Please use green onions and fresh parsley for this dish! Those two flavors are really what pulls it all together. I don't have a photo right now but I will post one as soon as I make it again. This stuff is delicious with tortilla chips or pita triangles as a dip or served alongside lamb chops or broiled fish as a side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment